A lady and man on the beach enjoying life after getting their Non-Lucrative Visa Spain.

What is the Spanish Non-Lucrative Visa?

The Spanish non-lucrative visa is a long-term residency option for non-EU citizens who don’t plan to work in Spain.

Note: EU / EEA citizens don’t need a visa to live in Spain – there is a registration process for residency.

Spain non-lucrartive visa infographic

The Non-Lucrative Visa is ideal if you are

  1. Retiring in Spain with a pension.
  2. Able to pay for your life in Spain without working.

How long is the non-lucrative visa valid?

The initial visa is valid for one year. You can apply for two additional two-year renewals, so a total of five years.

Note: After five years, you can apply for Spanish permanent residency (which allows you to find work in Spain).

2023 financial requirements for the Spain non-lucrative visa

You must show sufficient worldwide income or sufficient funds without work income.

  • Primary Applicant > €28,800 annual income (4 x IPREM)
  • Each Dependent > €7,200 annual income (1 x IPREM)

Note: The Spanish government uses a figure called IPREM to determine this requirement. The 2023 annual IPREM is€7,200 or €600 per month.

Acceptable income for your application

The Spanish Immigration Department accepts passive income for the application. Passive income is from sources other than work. Common examples are:

  • Pensions
  • Annuities
  • Investment income, including dividends or rental income
  • Royalties

Note: If you need to work after moving to Spain, you can change your immigration status. However, you must wait at least 12 months. So, you could apply for a Spanish Work Permit or Digital Nomad Visa after one year in Spain.

Important: You’ll need to provide documentary evidence that your income qualifies. The exact documentation you need to show will depend on the income you are using to qualify.

“For example, if it is a rental income, it will be necessary to have a copy of the property deed + rental agreement. If it is a pension, then the pension statement and bank statements may be necessary to show. We always have to submit documents regarding the origin of the income. These documents must be originals or certified copies, depending on the documents and the Consulate.”

Raquel Moreno – Spanish Immigration Lawyer

Can you use savings if you don’t have income?

Our Spanish immigration Laywr partner advises yes, you can. However, you should have double the standard income requirement, so at least €60,000 in an account in your name. The bank account does not have to be Spanish, but this is preferable.

Does owning a home in Spain help an applicant? According to the rules, the short answer is no; it does not. However, this is another area where different consulates assess things in their own way. Some consulates take the reasonable view that owning a property in Spain that you intend to live in means you’ll need less money to live. And with a lower cost-of-living in Spain, it makes sense to require less income.

Other Requirements

  • Qualifying for Spanish Private Health Insurance.
  • A police record that shows no disqualifying convictions.
  • A medical to show you don’t have serious health issues. See the template below for a list of the issues that can impact you. It is only serious infectious diseases managed by the WHO, drug addiction, and some severe mental illnesses.

Non-Lucrative Visa Spain Residency Requirement

There are two main residency requirements that you should understand.

  • You must live in Spain for at least 183 days a year or just over six months to be able to renew your visa. This time in Spain can make you a Spanish tax resident.
  • You must spend ten months per year for five years in Spain to qualify for permanent residency (PR).

How to apply for your Spanish Non-Lucrative Visa

We recommend using a Spanish Immigration Lawyer to ensure your application is approved. The application and documentation requirements are very specific, and rejections are common.

Important: You cannot apply in Spain. You must submit your application to the nearest Spanish consulate in your country of origin.

Documentation required for your application:

  • Proof of income or savings (like a property deed, rental agreement, or pension statement).
  • Health insurance policy certificate.
  • Medical certificate and police clearance certificate.
  • Valid passport/s and certified copies of each page.
  • Visa fees (€80 – €500)
  • Two copies of the completed visa application form
  • Tasas Extranjeria – Modelo impreso 790
  • EX-01 – Formulario

“You should have all your documents ready for your application, but not too soon. Some documents can only be three months old when you put in your application. Also, some must be originals, and others can be copies but only with an Apostille certificate. Foriegn language documents must usually be translated into Spanish by an approved translator.”

Raquel Moreno – Spanish Immigration Lawyer

How long will the application take?

The Spanish consulate will process your application in 2 – 3 months. There is a second step to the application process. When you move to Spain, you must apply for your residence permit and TIE (residence card).

Remember: There are several factors in the time to process your application. The consulate, the time of year, and the workload are important and outside of your control. The biggest factor in your control is ensuring your application is correct and complete with all supporting documentation in order.

Can you include family members on your application?

Yes, you can include family members in your non-lucrative visa application. Direct family members are eligible as long as you meet the income requirement. This option means you don’t have to make a separate family reunification application.

Note: Unmarried couples (and unregistered civil partners) must apply separately, each showing 400% of IPREM. This is regardless of how long they have lived together.

Need help with your Spain visa?

Our Immigration Partners, Raquel and her team, offer our clients a 30-minute consultation. They will recommend the best visa path for you, explain all the steps involved, and answer any questions that you have.

Spain Digital Nomad Visa vs. Non-Lucrative Visa Spain

The Spanish Digital Nomad Visa is an excellent option for non-EU citizens to work in Spain.

There are two significant differences between these two residency options.

  1. The Digital Nomad Visa allows professional activity for non-Spanish employers or clients.
  2. You can apply for a Digital Nomad visa while you are in Spain.

See more in our 2023 guide to Spain’s Digital Nomad Visa.

Note: Both visas are pathways to permanent residency and Spanish citizenship.

Next steps

Are you ready to get started on your Spanish adventure? Find out if you qualify and how to apply in a 30-minute call with our Spanish immigration law partner. They’ve helped hundreds of people worldwide secure their non-lucrative Spanish residency visa.

Spanish Non-Lucrative Visa – FAQ

What is a non-lucrative visa in Spain?

A non-lucrative visa in Spain is a long-term residency option for non-EU citizens who do not plan to work in Spain. It allows individuals to reside in Spain for a specified period without engaging in any form of employment or lucrative activities.

Who is eligible for a non-lucrative visa in Spain?

Non-EU citizens who have sufficient financial means to support themselves and their dependents without working in Spain are eligible for a non-lucrative visa. Retirees with a stable pension, individuals with passive income, or those who can demonstrate sufficient savings are typically eligible.

How long is the non-lucrative visa valid for?

The initial non-lucrative visa in Spain is typically valid for one year. However, it can be renewed for two additional two-year periods, totaling a maximum of five years. After five years, it is possible to apply for Spanish permanent residency.

What are the financial requirements for the non-lucrative visa in Spain in 2023?

To meet the financial requirements, the primary applicant must have an annual income of at least €28,800 (4 times the IPREM), and each dependent must have an annual income of €7,200 (1 times the IPREM). The IPREM figure for 2023 is €7,200 per year or €600 per month.

Can savings be used to meet the financial requirements?

Yes, savings can be used to meet the financial requirements for a non-lucrative visa in Spain. If you don’t have a regular income, you should have at least double the standard income requirement (€60,000) in a personal bank account. The bank account does not necessarily have to be in Spain.

Can I work in Spain with a non-lucrative visa?

Initially, the non-lucrative visa does not allow you to work in Spain. However, after residing in Spain for at least 12 months, you can change your immigration status and apply for a Spanish work permit or a Spanish Digital Nomad Visa if you wish to work in the country.

How do I apply for a non-lucrative visa in Spain?

To apply for a non-lucrative visa in Spain, you must submit your application to the nearest Spanish consulate in your country of origin. The application process requires specific documentation, including proof of income or savings, private health insurance, a medical certificate, a police clearance certificate, and a completed visa application form.


  1. You say if you are using savings for the non lucrative visa you should double to 60,000 Euros.
    Is this per year?
    For how long?
    and after getting permanent residency does this figure reduce and if so to what amount?

    Thank you

    1. Hi Maurice. The 60,000 amount is for the initial two years of the visa, and you’ll need to show similar savings for the renewals of your visa. Once you have Spanish permanent residency, there are no longer financial requirements as you don’t renew the permission. All the best, Alastair

  2. Hi,
    I was self employed but now retired but not retirement age until next year, I have enough income to retire to Spain to live, I am applying for the NLV, and have the documentation required except for a P45 which you do not get when self employed can you tell me what the equivalent of the P45 what is acceptable .thank you.

    1. Hi Barbera. The solution will depend on the consulate officer where you apply, as each has slightly different requirements. Two options are a notarized statement saying that you have retired and will not work in Spain or an official letter from your accountant stating that you have retired. Our immigration lawyer partner, Raquel, would be able to assist with your particular case. All the best, Alastair https://movingtospain.com/services/spain-immigration-lawyer/

  3. Does income from remote work count for NLV? Like if I work for a company that lets me work remotely internationally.

  4. I have gotten conflicting advice, perhaps you would be so kind to weigh in please. If I apply for a Non-lucrative visa (have USA Social Security exceeding qualifications), spend less than 183 days in Spain as we travel all over, do not wish to have a permanent address or apartment in Spain and just rent 4 months a year, will I be able to renew my visa? And pay no taxes or other annual expenses beyond rent? We did this in 2017 to travel Europe all year, and did not try to renew, but I fear we would not be able to apply and renew under the newer guidelines. Thank you in advance.

    1. Hi Robert. The NLV stipulation is that you spend a minimum of 183 days in Spain in order to renew. You’ll need to renew after one year, meaning you’ll probably be classified as a resident in Spain for taxation. Regards, Alastair

    2. Sorry but the replies above to the tax related questions were not clear. Can you please clarify: if someone gets their NLV based on (1) passive rental income, (2) retirement savings income such as IRA distributions, and (3) dividends in the USA, and begins living permanently in Spain, can they expect to continue paying taxes in the USA as normal, or will they expect to eventually begin paying Spanish taxes? I understand there is a double taxation treaty in place.

      1. Hi – Where you pay tax depends on your tax residency, which is defined differently from where you live (physical residence). Once you live in Spain for more than 183 days per year, you may become a resident in Spain for taxation. Being a tax resident in Spain means you’ll need to submit a tax return in Spain and will pay some taxes in Spain. So, if you are living permanently in Spain, in most cases, you’ll pay tax in Spain on your US income. Generally, taxes withheld in the US can be used as a tax credit in Spain. Regards, Alastair https://movingtospain.com/spanish-tax-system/

  5. Hello – my wife and I are interested in moving to Spain. We have sufficient savings to cover the necessary minimum’s for the NLV, but while I am fully-retired, my wife still works 25-30 hours/month and she wants to continue doing that after we move. For which visa should we apply?

  6. Thanks for info. My husband and I plan on relocating to Gran Canary islands in the next few months. We are US citizens and will apply for a non lucrative visa. Staying over 90 days. We have Tricare insurance since I’m retired Navy is that ok?

    1. HI Kenneth – I’ve had a quick look at the Tricare website, and my understanding is that they won’t cover medical expenses if you are living in Spain. That means you’ll need local health insurance in Spain for your NLV application. All the best, Alastair

      1. Mr Alastair Johnson,
        Please tell Kenneth to keep Tricare Military Retirement Health Insurance. Thete is a Naval Base in Rota Spain where he and wife may go to clinic on base. It is important that Kenneth and wife also obtain private health insurance in Spain.

        1. Thanks for this Anya – @Kenneth – please feel free to confirm this with the US Navel base in Rota.

  7. I’m a Brit living in US for last 10 years. My wife is US Citizen. For the Spain visa I need a police check, is this from country where I permanently live I.e. US or from UK? I am a U.S. permanent resident not a US citizen.

    1. Hi Mark. The police check is from where you have lived for the last five years. The exact working from the Spanish immigration website is “Certificate of criminal record dated no more than six months before the application date, stating that applicant does not have criminal record where they have resided for the past five years.” Regards, Alastair

  8. Hi Alastair

    My husband and I are about to submit our application for a NL Visa and have more than the qualifying savings, however, as we cannot rent our house until we move to Spain – how do we prove what the passive income expected from the rental of our home? Also, we have not “officially” retired. Thank you

    1. Hi Audrey. The NLV assumes you will not be working in Spain, so you should be careful in your choice of visa and how you manage your application if you will be working while in Spain. While the Spanish immigration department does like to see historical passive income, if you have sufficient funds, you can make your application meet the requirements. A good Lawyer may give you a path to include predicted rental income in your application, but you can’t rely on that for your approval. All the best, Alastair

  9. Hello Alastair,
    I am going to retire in Spain after 65 from Canada. My pension will be 2400 euro/month.. If I have Non-Lucrative Visa do I have access to Public Healthcare?

    1. Hi Vladimir – the NLV requires private health coverage, and you won’t be eligible for public healthcare as you are not making eligible social security payments. You can see more in our Spanish Healthcare guide. All the best, Alastair

  10. Hello there,

    We are Australian retired from the Australian government.
    We are about to apply for NLV and wondering if we do need a NIE and a lease agreement before hand.
    We do cover the financial requirements.

    Many thanks.

    1. Hi Broady – You don’t need a NIE or a lease for your NLV application. They’ll be a part of your padron and residency card process when you arrive in Spain. Our Spanish immigration lawyer partner can assist you with the NLV application and the later residency steps if required. All the best, Alastair

  11. My wife and I are both dual-national (US & UK) citizens… I am now retired and she retires in 2025. After she retires we plan to spend 3-5 months per year living in Spain, which would not meet the 183-day minimum stay for an NLV. What is another “retiree” visa available that would allow us to remain in Spain for 3-6 months?

    Also, due to her job with the USG, we are now living in Germany since 2021…. so, for a Spain visa, should we get a police report from Germany, the US, or the UK? (We have each lived in the both UK and the USA for over 15 years.)

    1. Hi Marc – With your situation’s complexity, I’d suggest speaking to an expert immigration lawyer nearer to your wife’s retirement to ensure you have up-to-date advice. The Spanish immigration service requires police clearance from all countries you have lived in over the five years before your application. All the best, Alastair

  12. As an owner of a Canadian incorporated business, who wants to stay in Spain longer than 90 days but less than 184, is the digital nomad visa my best option? I will not have “income” while in Spain, but I may make telephone calls, send emails, etc., regarding my business activity in Canada while I am in Spain. Is this considered “working” in Spain?

    1. Hi Mary. That is a grey area, and it probably could be argued that you are not working, per se. But be aware that both the Digital Nomad Visa and Non-Lucrative Visa have 183-day minimum stay requirements to renew your immigration permission. Our immigration lawyers would happily discuss your situation and help you pick the best option. All the best, Alastair

  13. My husband has a Eu passport (Ireland) and i am a British passport holder. Therefore for us to retire (don’t plan to work) and stay in Spain longer than the 90 days, is it just me that has to apply for a NLV as a primary ie, show income of 28,800 or 60K in euro savings?
    As an EU passport holder , what visa if any does he have to apply for? Are there no restrictions at all to reside and work?
    Is there any other route for me? can he sponsor me in some way or is it simply NLV ?

    1. Hi Karen. As an EU passport holder, your husband can retire to Spain without a visa, but there is a process he needs to follow. As a spouse of an EU passport holder, you can also get residency without a visa. Please see our article on Residency in Spain for EU citizens for more details. Alternatively, book a consultation with our Spanish immigration law partners – they have extensive experience helping EU citizens with non-EU family members navigate the paperwork and process of Spanish residency. All the the best, Alastair

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *